10 COUNTRIES WITH THE BEST ONLINE GAMBLING CULTURE
The online gambling industry is enormous. These days, it seems that people can’t get enough. Whether it’s the thrills, the challenges and fun times, or simply the chance of raking in a small or large fortune, billions of dollars are spent at online casinos every year. The reasons are as varied as the games people play. The pandemic kept us isolated at home, which left lots of time for some good, profitable fun.
While everyone knows that the odds are not always in your favor, it hasn’t stopped online gambling from continuing to grow, even after so many of us went back to work. In fact, the online gambling culture is now bigger than ever.
Bricks-and-mortar casinos are still thriving. But the popularity of land-based casinos is quickly declining. And this isn’t online vs live casinos thing. It’s simply that constantly advancing technology is helping online gambling dominate the world. And even if some countries have banned online gambling, there are more than enough online casinos that are easily accessible to players anywhere in the world.
Here’s a look at the top 10 countries with the best online gambling cultures:
THE TOP 10 PLACES FOR ONLINE GAMBLING
Online gambling has provided players with many avenues to spend time and money from anywhere around the world. Digital casinos are a multibillion-dollar industry in some countries.
- THE UNITED KINGDOM tops the gambling revenue ranking with the $12 billion their online casinos reported in 2021. One of the strictest markets for online gambling safety, the UK Gambling Commission ensures responsible gaming and a secure playing environment. British players are big into sports betting, poker, blackjack, slots and craps.
- THE U.S. is home to 70% of online players. Some states are permissive about online gambling, while others are less so. However, diminishing restrictions have resulted in US citizens becoming eager online gamblers, spending more than $11 billion in 2021. American gamblers enjoy baccarat, poker, Texas Hold’em, slots and blackjack.
- AUSTRALIA, where Ignition is among the top 5 online casinos, is passionate about gambling. About 80% of 25 million citizens play online, spending $6.5 billion in 2021. Online slots top the list for Australian players – though they call them “pokies.” Next comes sports betting, horse racing, baccarat, bingo, blackjack, craps, keno and roulette.
- ITALY reports $4.5 billion in yearly online gambling revenues. Home to the world’s first casino, which opened in Venice in 1638, gambling’s reputation was sullied by its Mafia connections. Much has changed over the last years. Today, 80% of Italians are gamblers, most of them playing their favorite game online: poker, followed by blackjack and baccarat.
- FRANCE is where popular games like blackjack and roulette were created. It’s no surprise that the French love to gamble. Once online betting became legal in 2010, millions of citizens flocked to online casinos. Moreover, table games like poker, baccarat, craps as well as slots top their list of favorites.
- GERMANY has one of the strongest economies in the world, so most of its citizens probably enjoy large disposable incomes. They also enjoy gambling at online casinos, where they spend over $6 billion annually. Germany’s strict online betting laws assure people are responsible when they play baccarat, blackjack, craps. keno, slots and video poker.
- CANADA is famous for its gambling freedom, so online gaming thrives here. Almost 75% of citizens play online. National statistics state that the average Canadian spends about $570 per year gambling online, which totaled $2.5 billion in 2021. Among their favorite games are poker, slots (especially progressive jackpots), blackjack, roulette and live dealer.
- FINLAND reports that 40% of their citizens play in a casino at least once a week. They visit online gambling platforms and land-based casinos quite regularly. Finnish players have a large number of gaming choices ranging from a national lottery to online casinos, where their gaming preferences include baccarat, blackjack, craps, keno, slots and video poker.
- SPAIN, where its people love to party, they also love to gamble to the tune of $1.6 billion per year. In fact, Spain legalized online gambling in 2011 and now the average Spaniard spends around $455 betting online. And contrary to most countries, the population’s number one choice isn’t slots, it’s sports betting, followed by blackjack.
- GREECE is big on gambling. Nearly 80% of Greeks (mostly men) plays the national lottery. While Greeks love spending money on scratch tickets, online casinos and poker rooms are very popular here. You can find Greek gamblers at the virtual tables playing blackjack and roulette, bringing in $1.3 billion for their online casinos.
THE LEGALITY OF ONLINE GAMBLING
It’s pretty hard to escape the constantly growing number of online casino ads on the web, on TV, and on the street. Makes it seem so legit. But gambling isn’t legal everywhere. Wherever online gambling is legal, players can enjoy a near-genuine casino experience at home. It’s disappointing for players in countries where online gambling is not permitted.
However, online gambling is legal in many countries, including:
Europe – Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, Hungry, Italy, Poland, Russia, Malta, Gibraltar, Netherlands, Portugal, Norway, and Denmark have all legalized online gambling.
Australia and New Zealand – only the online gambling websites based in and regulated by the country are legal. All overseas online gambling websites are illegal and banned.
Africa – South Africa, Kenya and Mauritius allow and earn big revenues from online gambling. Algeria, Morocco, Cape Verde, and Ivory Coast allow online gambling to some extent. These countries allow sports betting or some basic online casino games.
Asia – Online gambling is legal in Japan, the Philippines and Kazakhstan, and partly legal in China, Thailand, Singapore, and Macao. Some states of India allow scratch card games and alternative lotteries.
Americas – Online gambling is enjoyed freely all across North America. US citizens account for up to 70% of players. Canada allows online gambling in some regions. Some Central American and Caribbean countries allow online gambling.
HOW TO FIND THE BEST ONLINE CASINO
It’s a loaded question. What are we going to say? You’ve already found it? Apparently, we’re better than that, so here’s how to find the best casino for you.
- Start with the basics. Make sure the online casino you’re scoping out is properly licensed and regulated by a recognized gambling authority. It matters.
- Next, payment options are important, especially if you’re thinking of playing with cryptocurrency. Look for the lowest fees and easy, quick withdrawals.
- After that comes the fun stuff. What games are on offer and does the casino frequently add new games? Is there a generous bonus program? For all that, start with customer reviews. Word of mouth is very big in the online casino world. People talk. Listen to them.
BENEFITS OF ONLINE GAMBLING
Whether you enjoy poker, blackjack, slots or sports betting, these online gambling advantages will enhance the experience for every gambler:
- PLAY ANYTIME, ANYWHERE
- NO TRAVELLING, NO HOTELS
- EXCELLENT BANKING OPTIONS
- NO WAITING
- NO DRESS CODE
- BUDGET FRIENDLY
- GENEROUS PROMOTIONS AND PRIZING
- BETTER VALUE
- VARIETY OF GAMES
- FREE PLAYS AND TRIAL VERSIONS
- LIVE DEALERS AVAILABLE
- TOURNAMENTS AND CASH GAMES
- MORE BETTING OPTIONS
- HELP AND INFORMATION AVAILABLE